Friday, July 28, 2006

daily painting old tools

Just a plane
beginning






























Made in U.S.A.
6"x8"
oil on canvas board
still wet give it a week
available
SOLD
I was visiting my friend and fellow daily painter, Darren Maurer(Apple and Linen by Darren Maurer) in Sioux City. I stopped at a local antique mall ( a very bad habit for the artist on a budget). This plane was one of several items I brought back with me to paint. I have a new rule for purchasing anything that is to be used in a still life practice painting. The object must be less than $15.00, be able to be used in at least two paintings and most important....I need to think it is cool!

The plane met all three requirements. The name of the painting comes from the only identification engraved on one of the blades. Is that a sad commentary on our time and country?

I enjoyed this one a lot. Again I used my shadow box and for the first time used a lamp for additional lighting. It was a very gray day outside.

Celebratiion time! This has been my first full week of posting daily paintings on my blog. I am learning... I hope you are enjoying it?

2 comments:

Darren Maurer said...

Pete, That looks great! I like the lighting a lot.

"van Vliet" Art Blog said...

I am enjoying it. I just sold my furniture making business of 26 years and also am painting. I like the plane and the idea of painting in the shadow box. Very nice rendering. Would you consider a reciprical link?