Thursday, September 21, 2006

Painting grapes in a basket

A totally different arrangement this time. I had to set up on my little art table while my easel had a larger painting on it. The light is so different on this side of the studio. It is the farthest wall from either window so the light is very soft and indirect.

Blocking in the main shapes. I am starting to learn the value of keeping the block-in colors more muted or grayed. This should help me get richer color later when I put on the more opaque paint. That's my theory anyway.

I found a way not to mess with the background. Don't put it in! Of course, I didn't plan it that way. I just had so much fun painting the grapes I forgot to paint the background. Oops!

Grapes in a basket
5"x7"
oil on canvas panel


The grocery store sold these grapes all in one package. They were too colorful not to paint. Of course we ate them as soon as the painting was finished.

1 comment:

sattvicwarrior said...

WONDERFUL posts. thanks for sharing:)