Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Daily painting practice 105 - Sliced Onion

I was really enjoying painting this so I never got up to take progress photos. Sorry folks, but I did take the set up photo.
click on picture to enlarge the image
Sliced Onion
5"x5"
oil on wood


This was the first time I ever experimented painting on wood. I gessoed 4 coats over an ArtBoard wood panel sanding each coat. I really liked the feel of it. It was getting late by the time I got around to doing my daily painting practice so I went to the source of all true artistic inspiration.....the refrigerator. It has been a while since I did an onion so I made a fresh slice of this one and sat down to work. By turning the spot light away from directly pointing at the subject the blue background really lit up.

Self Critique Time:
I haven't posted a self critique in a while because I tend to get too negative. So I'll try to stay objective here..... I like the composition and the light, though I think I could have adjusted the sliced piece a little better. I didn't get the translucent quality of the onion but I am pleased with the background(now that shows growth). I find it hard to get good highlights when the subject is warm and brightly lit. I can see them but not paint them yet. I think it may have something to do with not getting the gray tones.

No comments: