Thursday, December 14, 2006

daily painting practice 108 - wine wine wine

Click on the picture to enlarge the image
Tolstoy's Ghost
8 3/4" x 11 3/4"
oil on wood

Get the tissues folks. This is a sad story about a painting with good intentions that went bad. Just like a tragic character in a Russian novel this subject is headed for the train tracks... My intention was to paint the light on the bread and cheese with the deep color of the wine as a compliment. But instead I ended up with a very cliche stiff composition. I know those who paint everyday come across these " you are trying too hard" paintings once in a while. I think I will leave it at that and get back to work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're too hard on yourself. The glass is great!

Anonymous said...

I agree, you are too hard on yourself. The glass looks super and the bread is making me hungry. None of that stuff is on my diet and it all looks sooo good!

Luis Colan said...

I agree as well, you are too hard on yourself! I think this painting looks great, and it is not cliche. I admire that you try to do more complex compositions in one siting. Not many of the daily painters out there push themselves as much as you.

David said...

Stiff composition, perhaps -- but artfully conceived, and executed. I agree with Luis -- you inspire us all to push ourselves further along the journey. How did the wine taste?

Anonymous said...

I noticed that when THAT happens you are standing before an breakthrough. Hope you get over it soon, .... Still i admire you work allot, even this one.

Anonymous said...

Wow, superb painting!
and the wine and cheese, combination made in heaven ;-)