Thursday, March 15, 2007

daily painting practice - Van Gogh's take out

I admit I didn't start out thinking this way, but the more I painted this box the more I thought of Van Gogh.

The heat from the lamp I used to light up the still life also warmed up the inside of the box. My studio smelled like a Chinese restaurant at 8 AM.


click on image to enlarge the picture

Van Gogh's Chinese Take Out
6"x6"
oil on masonite

SOLD

I was imagining what if they had Chinese take-out when old Vincent was alive. He probably would have painted the box. At one point I know Vincent Van Gogh copied oriental prints and designs and incorporated the design elements into his paintings so this is a proper tribute.

This is the second painting in my Peter's Day sale. You are only 52 once.

6 comments:

René PleinAir said...

I think Vincent would go also one step further he would used the box as a turp can or a brush washer.

Marvelous thoughts Peter, and even more executed.

"Goed gedaan!! Complimenten."
Vincent would say. ;-)

tlwest said...

Very beautiful! I aspire to paint like that some day! Lots of feeling in the brushwork!

Anonymous said...

wonderful to honor a very simple design

Ed Terpening said...

Nice one, Peter. Good example of how to make the mundane memorable.

Parisbreakfasts said...

I LOVE this painting Pete!!

Sarah said...

hey, happy birthday and happy peters day and all that. I am having a sale too, must be the time of year