Monday, October 29, 2007

Daily Painting Practice - Flowers in a spice Jar

I could have named this experiment in yellow. I was trying for a low keyed painting in yellow without getting my colors all muddy. For me the shadows of yellow objects are a tricky business.
My white marigolds still have some life in them. I think I managed the yellow shading. Now to add in the detail work.
click on the image to enlarge the picture

Flowers in a Spice Jar
oil on canvas board

I thought the spice jar was a great base for the white marigolds. The flowers actually look more like chrysanthemums than marigolds, which is the design on the spice jar.


Cara Dawn Romero said...

Peter, This is beautiful. I love the way you wrapped your shadow around the vase. Reads perfectly.

Materese Roche said...

Beautiful Peter! I especially enjoy the way you've blurred out the light on the right, really emphasizing the feeling of light.

James said...

I love your progress pictures. It was really fun to see the details pop on the vase since I didn't realize they were coming.