Sunday, April 06, 2008

Daily Painting Practice - Late Afternoon

I started this with the old paint that was left on the palette. I think the limited number of colors helped me get off to a good start. I really liked the gray muted feel at this point.
Then I went right for the brilliant color of the apple. What a risk taker! ( Thank God it worked)
The green splash on the apple really helps to give the viewer's eyes a place to rest. I should have named it Rest Stop.
click on the image to enlarge the painting

Late Afternoon
original by Peter Yesis
8"x10"
oil on canvas board
SOLD

This morning my wife and I took a tour of several garden supply stores. Of course we only went to...look. (And came back with some broccoli, oregano, pansies and a white Easter lily).
So, I spent the rest of the morning getting my hands dirty on the garden planting the broccoli. There is nothing like sinking your hands in warm soil. Last week I put the spinach seeds in and the peas went in yesterday, so we are off to a good start. After gardening it felt good to just sit down in the studio and do a quick painting practice piece. By the time I finished it was late afternoon....I missed lunch.....That apple isn't going to last long.

1 comment:

Justin Clayton said...

Beautiful Peter. I love the soft cool feeling of this painting. That saturated red mark on the apple at the focal point really pulls my eye to that area. Very nice.