Sunday, April 06, 2008

Daily Painting Practice - Late Afternoon

I started this with the old paint that was left on the palette. I think the limited number of colors helped me get off to a good start. I really liked the gray muted feel at this point.
Then I went right for the brilliant color of the apple. What a risk taker! ( Thank God it worked)
The green splash on the apple really helps to give the viewer's eyes a place to rest. I should have named it Rest Stop.
click on the image to enlarge the painting

Late Afternoon
original by Peter Yesis
oil on canvas board

This morning my wife and I took a tour of several garden supply stores. Of course we only went to...look. (And came back with some broccoli, oregano, pansies and a white Easter lily).
So, I spent the rest of the morning getting my hands dirty on the garden planting the broccoli. There is nothing like sinking your hands in warm soil. Last week I put the spinach seeds in and the peas went in yesterday, so we are off to a good start. After gardening it felt good to just sit down in the studio and do a quick painting practice piece. By the time I finished it was late afternoon....I missed lunch.....That apple isn't going to last long.

1 comment:

Justin Clayton said...

Beautiful Peter. I love the soft cool feeling of this painting. That saturated red mark on the apple at the focal point really pulls my eye to that area. Very nice.