Friday, May 16, 2008

daily painting practice - a plein air day

It felt really good to be outside again. Yesterday, I painted with my friends Marge , John and Kathy. John has a house on the Platte River and he drove us over to some beautiful places to paint. You can see Kathy and Marge setting up under this tree. They are looking down at the river.
This a view of the Platte River just over the ridge and that tree.
I wish I had set up to paint this sandy trail because the painting I started in the morning really bombed out.
I thought I was smart in starting with a sketch but the end result was less than I hoped for. I didn't even take a photo of it. Let's just say the canvas made the ride home in the back of my truck covered with leaves and bugs....(and that improved it)
After lunch we only had about half an hour left to paint so I set up near Kathy and Marge but turned away from the river.
Better than this morning. Very impressionistic though.
My friend and fellow artist (Kathy Jureck) did this wonderful little watercolor of me painting. She was kind enough to give it to me. That's my Monet wanna be hat I am wearing. Maybe that's why I was so loose and impressionistic.
click on the image to enlarge the painting

Sandy Trail
original by Peter Yesis
9"x12"
oil on canvas board

Sometimes I think the best plein air is done when you only have a limited time to paint and you don't have time to think.

4 comments:

Kathy Jurek said...

"Sometimes I think the best plein air is done when you only have a limited time to paint and you don't have time to think."

Yup. I definitely agree Peter! It prevents you from being fussy when you're racing the clock. Looking forward to our next outing.

Cara said...

I agree 100%. My most favorite painting I ever did (and will never sell) was a quick plein air of cottonwood trees in winter.

Your "Sandy Trail" is a wonderful piece -

kaycrain said...

Peter,
This is lovely!
Still, my favorite painting of yours is the grandbaby in the high chair!! ;)

Marilyn M. King said...

This is a beautiful little jewel. It reminds me of some early 20th century painting found in an Impressionist Art book. I really get the feeling that you were painting what you "saw", especially the color. It's the kind of color that doesn't come out of the head, but only through direct observation. Great job and welcome back!