Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Daily Painting Practice - Pink Ladies

OK! If I am going to do another daily peony painting I figure I might as well experiment a little and have a little fun. So I ground up some Yarka compressed charcoal and mixed it with a little turps and Liquin.
What a lovely little wash painting it produced. I smudged the halftone in with my finger. The style feels very Oriental to me.
As I pondered about the background I completely forgot to let the wash under painting dry......Oops! I brush on the background and brushed off the under painting....
What is that saying? If at first you screw it up. Try try again? The good thing is, not having an under painting so well defined really allowed me to stay loose. At this point I have not used any blue... In fact I never did, the green was made by mixing the charcoal and yellow.

click on the image to enlarge the painting

Pink Ladies
original by Peter Yesis
5"x7"
oil on canvas board
SOLD
I really like the loose brush strokes and the suggestion of the glass vase. All done without blue.

6 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

This is lovely. I love your work, you're an amazing painter.

Cara said...

Very nice -

Ed Terpening said...

Nice work, Peter. I particularly like the edges and brushwork.

Squirrel said...

You are amazing! I'm inspired to try.

Anonymous said...

Nice work Peter.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful edges.