Thursday, August 07, 2008

Daily Painting Practice - Poached Egg and Porcelain

More experimenting. Blick Art has new panels to play with and I am continuing to try out my new medium. Make sure you click on the images to get a closer look at the stages of development.
I really wanted to concentrate on the background this time and not do my typical...go back into it after the painting is complete.
Eggs may be my new fun thing to paint. They are the best thing for practicing values.
Before I started this painting I remembered seeing a website for the National Gallery of Art in Washington that talked about Vermeer's proportions and compositions. Here is the (link). It is incredible to think he put so much thought into his work. I don't think I will ever get to that point.
I am more of an organic fly by the seat of my pants composer.
Though, I found it kind of funny that this is how my drawing lined up. Purely by accident! Just eyeballing the composition and sitting down to draw... I wonder what Vermeer would have said...Beginners luck. He would be right.
click on the image to enlarge the painting

Poached Egg and Porcelain
original by Peter Yesis
8"x8"
oil on masonite
SOLD

3 comments:

Cara said...

Beautiful painting - and a very interesting post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,
Your recent works on masonite are very good indeed (I like particularly the poached egg)and you certainly cannot qualified yourself as a beginner as said in your post. No certainly not...

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

great painting and thanks for the Vermeer link.