Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Daily Painting Practice - Last Painting of 2008

Do you look at today as another year coming to an end or as a beginning of a new year to come? To me there is opportunity in either direction. Looking back gives an opportunity to review the year, goals met or not met, what got done what didn't get done, and most importantly, an opportunity for gratitude.

If you are like me, the goals I usually set for myself at the beginning of the year fall apart within a month because they are based more on optimism rather than realism. It's not that they are not attainable....the reality is that I usually don't persist in maintaining the discipline needed to fulfill my own wishes....Discipline? I don't even like to spell it.
Detail of Last Painting
This year like many was filled with changes, disappointments, insights and of course, lots of fun. My evolutionary path to become a painter continues to surprise me. Here is a list of some of the bends in the road. This year:
I gave my first demonstrations at art clubs and taught a class at the Joselyn Museum.
I met a group of friends and went out plein air painting once a week last spring and summer.
I was represented by 3 galleries.
I was juried into my first two national shows. ( Even received an award in one)
Bought my first advertisement in a national art magazine.
I stopped selling on Ebay and withdrew from The Daily Paintworks group so I could focus on larger work.


Detail of Last Painting

Not a bad list. Most important to me is that I have defined for myself what I hope to achieve in my work and how I want to paint. That's another way of saying I have made the decision to stop experimenting so much with varying styles. I guess it is never too late to mature.... even in your 50's.
click on the image to enlarge the painting
Last Painting of 2008
(needs a title)
20"x30" oil on canvas

Here is the completed last painting of 2008. ( I know I should have a goal of improving my photography in 2009) Actually, my goals for this year:
Improving the quality of expression in my work using light, texture, emotion and narrative.
Concentrate on interpretation rather than reproduction.
Get accepted into 3 national juried shows
Produce and sell so much quality work I start complaining about all the taxes I have to pay as an artist.

Happy new year everyone!

6 comments:

Cara said...

Fond farewell to a good 2008 and here's to your New Year. Here's wishing you and me and all of us the very best!

Janelle Goodwin said...

Peter, I have a feeling 2009 will be a very good year for you. Your work is top notch. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Your art work is unique.

Connie said...

Excellent goals and quite specific. Your work is stellar. Happy new year to you.

ID Card Printer said...

Checking your site for more :)

ID Card Printer said...

For information on ID card printer system or photo id card, visit Safecard ID.