Thursday, August 12, 2010

Daily Painting Practice - painting the Phillips Mill Inn - work in progress

Last month I posted about our trip to New Jersey and New Hope, and how I was dripping with sweat while doing some plein air painting at the Phillips Mill Inn, pictured below.


Now, I am comfortably in my air conditioned basement studio back in Omaha, while it is in the upper 90's outside.

I am just starting on a painting of the inn. I transferred my drawing onto a pre-toned reddish brown canvas and began with lighter tones and a few darks.

I am trying to stay disciplined (for those that know me, please keep the laughter down) and build up the paint in a very controlled way. Keeping the layers very thin and the values muted and close.

I put the flag in early for the contrast, I keep talking to myself " stay focussed... keep the other colors muted."  Good thing nobody is here  listening. So far not bad.

Phillips Mill Inn - Work in progress
24"x30"
oil on canvas

Can't wait to get into those rocks on the wall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good! I like the composition and you're doing a fine job with the muted color(it's looking rich, but not too rich). And I bet those rocks are gonna be great.

As for talking to yourself in the studio, I'm usually alone in there, or else the men in white coats would probably have already been called... ;-)

Anonymous said...

already looking beautiful! and love the composition.

Caroline Peña Bray said...

Looking great, Peter. Brilliant detail! It's fascinating to see your process as well, it's very much something to learn from. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

Louis Boileau said...

Hi Peter,
...really like this painting!

Helen Read said...

Wow! Beautifully done!