Thursday, October 17, 2013

Daily Painting Practice in Maine - Plein Air in Swanville and Completed Belfast Tugboat

Completed another one!

I will be entering this one into the  Plein Air Painters of Maine show in  Boothbay Harbor, Maine next month.

"Lady in Waiting" - 18x24 oil on canvas

This is the plein air painting I did in Belfast, Maine when I first started hosting the Plein Air Painters of Maine (Northern Chapter).  You can check out the progress in the earlier post.  I  took it back to the studio to complete the details, like the masts. Straight edges and crisp lines are a weakness I have, particularly when I am painting outdoors.  The older I get the tougher it is to hold a steady hand with a brush, so tree limbs and masts and other straight edges end up  much wider than they should be. In addition, it doesn't help that I am much less patient when painting plein air. The only way to remedy to this bad plein air habit, of course, is to have more patience outdoors. ( which isn't going happen)  So I am am left with having to actually practice. 

 I started practicing  how to make clean straight edges with a painting  knife in the studio but  don't have it all worked out yet.  Looks like I'll be researching  on YouTube  for some hints.

I love the title for this painting, but all the credit for the title  must go to she who must not be named. I have no talent for titles. If it were up to me every painting would be named just what it is.... Boat in Water... Boat in Water number 2... and so on.

Yesterday morning, I  drove down the road in the opposite direction from last week's posting to Swanville and painted two quick color studies of Swan Lake. 

Swan Lake color study

This one was about 7:30 in the morning....

Swan Lake color study

...and this one was about an hour later. It was just a gorgeous morning to paint.

Here is what greeted me when I  first arrived...

Heron at Swan Lake

A beautiful Blue Heron. What a way to start the day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lol. She who must not be named picked another winner. And of course the painting is inspiring!

p.s. I thought it was just me having trouble with the fat tree limbs. :-)