Friday, December 13, 2013

Daily Painting Practice in Maine - Studio work - Winter Landscape Sears Island

Warm and Toasty!

It was about 2 degrees outside this morning! A perfect day to stay indoors, have a few cups of green tea with ginger to keep me warm and toasty, and to work on this week's painting.

Following yesterday's post, I received several suggestions for staying warm while painting outdoors in the cold.  I will most definitely follow them all.

Here are a few snap shots of this mornings progress.

work in progress
I can work on the details much better in the studio without my hands shaking from the cold. But in a strange twist, I am remembering what it felt like to be out there in the cold and that is what I am trying to capture in the painting.

I remember that frosty snow covering  the lower trees so I worked on that first. I then began work on the tree details starting on the right side. 

work in progress
I am continuing to work on the trees from right to left.

Sears Island Snow - work in progress
The main cluster of trees will be the focal point so it will need some punch to make it attract attention, but I like how it is developing. 

My goal when I woke up this morning was to complete the painting by the end of today... (If you follow this blog you are aware of my stellar record on meeting my goals and it would be fair to ask why bother  to continue to make them)... good  point. The important thing here is to push on with the painting and not get bogged down in minor issues that probably  require some sort of art therapy.
So back to the studio!

2 comments:

Alida Militi said...

I like both follow the progress of his paintings and explaining how it will preceso, so simply, so warmly! I am very grateful. Last Marine who painted you liked me greatly (I think that even with her illustrious input my facebook).
I also feel very envious because of where you live, with those beautiful landscapes, also viewed Marguerite Yourcenar pass, if I'm not mistaken.
If you ever have lost interest or a while, give the address of the blog where I hang my paintings:
http://www.alidamilitipinturas.blogspot.com
It will be a pleasure to have around.
Sincerely.
P. S. : I regret greatly the incorrect writing of this review but is made with google translator because my English is very poor. I hope that the essence is understood, at least.

Dave Casey said...

I should think the number one way to stay warm would be to stop painting snowscapes. :) I want to go grab a jacket just looking at that painting. And I live in Vegas.