Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Daily Painting Practice - More Thumbnails sketches to color study - Maine Seascape

Day 15  of Leslie Saeta's 30 day challenge.


 This painting started as a thumbnail sketch but never quite got there as a painting.
I wasn't sure where to go with the color.
I could have stopped here and developed the sailboat idea but....
That didn't work for me so I continued on the journey changing the sky  to a morning yellow and eliminating the idea of sailboats all together.
I could have stopped here too.  The morning sky worked well and the islands too but the foreground didn't do much for me.... as an after thought I now think it doesn't look that bad. 
At this point I was just drifting in a sea of paint with no clear direction. The brush kept  moving but not with any purpose. Maybe I should have put the sailboat back in?
Time to quit. Not every painting gets you there.... but the journey is still fun.

No comments: