Friday, December 08, 2006

daily painting practice 106 - stuffed animal

Don't ask me why, I just thought it looked liked a fun idea to paint. You are not a serious daily painter unless you except the challenge of painting a stuffed animal or toy.
It always amazes me how any object when set up in a composition begins to show a personality. How best to capture that personality is the key to a successful painting.
click on picture to enlarge the image

Spots and Stripes Forever
5"x7"
oil on canvas board


This was one of the most difficult paintings I have done. I felt strange painting it. Almost like I was painting a live model. I thought at any minute the giraffe would turn and say " Can I move my neck now?" Painting this piece was like a hybrid cross of still life and portrait painting. I think am ready for an episode of the twight light zone.

2 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

FUN painting Peter :)
I'm painting toys too at the moment...that time of year I guess

Anonymous said...

Nice work :)
Background color and cloth under toy is very good choice for this painting.
I have painting with toy too. My teddy bear Julio. You can see it on my block.