Friday, January 18, 2008

Daily Painting Practice- The Grocery List

Every once in a while I like to do a kitchen still life. So many things happen in a kitchen on a daily basis. There are so many stories that can be painted just from the kitchen.
I almost called this afternoon tea. On a typical day, I take an afternoon tea break. Usually, and just as I sit down, my wife/psychic multi-tasker extraordinare will call from work. "Do you have a pencil? I thought I would pick up a few things at the grocery store on my way home....call me back when you have the list..."
I then check our cabinets and make a list of what we need. After 30 years we are so in sync.....I have the pencil ready.
I thought for a while Van Gogh would enjoy this composition. That must be why I changed the color of the background...
...and added the plant.
If I were really bold, I would have piled on the paint. Two inches thick! But I was too much of a wimpy painter. My inner Van Gogh will have to wait for another day.
click on the image to enlarge the painting

The Grocery List
12" x 12"
oil on canvas

Maybe I should have named it ...Before She Calls?

3 comments:

Cara said...

This is a wonderful painting -

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I liked reading how you came to name this piece, it adds a lot to the painting. I would have thought it was more after Auguste Renoir - but what do I know. When you mentioned two inch thick paint I thought of your "Trumpet Vine" painting where I can see that you painted "boldly" (for lack of better word)having some thick paint on the petals.

I also wanted to comment on your pears painting which were/are really very nice. I think, being such a novice, I would have been tempted to leave them after the rubbing ... they had a beautiful old world look. Wonderful work on both of these last two.

Anonymous said...

This painting is fantastic. I am of the opinion that you have crossed over an artistic threshold and your work will now more than ever progress into successful societal beauty.