Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Daily Painting Practice- Baking Bread

One of my wife's favorite things to do (other than manage my art) is baking bread. So, when she went crazy in the kitchen baking biscuits and bread I sat at the table waiting for the first sample. (my role as taste tester). The sun was very strong that day and caught the corner of the stove. "That would make a great painting." I said. See how easy it is to find something to paint.
Every time I paint something on the stove I think of Van Gogh. I don't know why but this always happens. Once I have Van Gogh on my mind it's all over. My style changes... I get a crazy look in my eyes as I paint. This can be fun and very disturbing at the same time.
click on the image to enlarge the painting

Baking Bread
original by Peter Yesis
8"x10"
oil on canvas board

That honey jar has done its fair share of posing for me. I think it has been in at least 4 or 5 paintings now, same with the tea pot. I haven't grown tired of painting them yet, so I am sure they will end up in many more pictures.

2 comments:

Leslie Sealey said...

I love your stovetop paintings. Lucky you, you get to enjoy a great meal when you're done!

Marilyn M. King said...

I'm a female artist and I want a wife too! My husband is not up to the job. Peter, sounds like you are blessed with a great woman and help mate.
I'm struggling between all the wifely duties, running and operating a family business with my Kenn and squeezing out all the time I can find to be an artist again. I jumped back into painting about six months ago and have been so inspired and encouraged by seeing your blog and other great artists sharing their work and tips on the web. Thanks to you for the generous giving of yourself and your knowledge to us out here. I visit you often and am a big fan of your work. You are listed on my blog as a favorite link.
I'd love to sit down and meet you and yours in that homey kitchen. I can smell the bread!

The best to you and your family,
Marilyn King