Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Daily Painting Practice - Going Home to Homer

 I apologize that  I don't have a painting this week and about the delay in posting,  but I have been away, off on vacation to Maine. If anyone is in need of inspiration to paint, my suggestion is to get on a plane, train, car, or bicycle and get yourself to Maine.


 As many of you who have read this blog for the past several years already know, Winslow Homer, is one of my Art Heroes. Not only because his style is so original or because I think he did his best work later in his life, (gives all of us who were slow starters hope) but because I can feel the life of the sea and land in his paintings of Maine. I would have liked to visit  the sites he painted during this trip but time did not allow. However,   (Here is a link to a piece in the NY Times) that shows an interactive map with photos of the actual scenes and the artwork itself.
I'll have to make it there next time.

The area we visited last week is called Down East Maine, we were just north of Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Every where you look the landscape or seascape seems deliberately designed for artists. All you have to do is get out of the car and turn around in circles.

 

Of Course I will be doing several Maine paintings in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds nice. I can see from just these three photos what you're saying about the landscape there.