Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Daily Painting Practice - Schoodic Point Maine painting in progress

I have been making small steps on increasing my output while trying not to give up anything on quality. Here is my latest attempt.
click on the image to enlarge the painting

Schoodic Point
work in progress
18"x36"
oil on canvas

I  have always wanted to do an ocean painting in Maine and especially one on a foggy day. I was inspired by Winslow Homer's work.

This is the first pass.  I have  deliberately painted the foreground rocks  a bit  warmer and sharper than the rocks in the back, leaving the back ground edges fuzzier and the paint thinner. I also am enjoying the greens and  purple blues of the water in contrast with the  orange and gray blue of the rocks.


Detail



Detail

I found this  video on YouTube that someone shot  at the very spot of my painting.  It is  very beautifully  done. Enjoy!



1 comment:

comedyrocks.com said...

Lovely work Peter. Nice to see artwork by someone with talent!