Thursday, November 14, 2013

Daily Painting Practice in Maine - Cape Elizabeth - Fort Williams Park - Plein air

Getting some Plein Sea Air

Yesterday, I had to travel to Portland and was able to do some plein air painting at Fort Williams Park again. This time  it was a beautiful crisp sunny day, the exact opposite of (my last visit).

It is wonderful to visit these tourist hot spots at this time of the year simply because there aren't any tourists left. So I had the beach all to myself....

Painting alone on the beach -Fort Williams, Cape Elizabeth, Maine

except for a few seagulls and ducks feeding at the edge of the surf.

Blocking in the large masses of lights and darks

I got right down to business, blocking in darks and lights. I have often read about keeping the large masses simple and not broken up into little pieces. Until now I haven't disciplined myself to start that way. This is one of my first attempts at actually doing this. Though you can see I did sneak in a few dots for the rocks in the foreground.


Warm and cool shadows

The fascinating part of this scene, for me, is the relationship of the cool and warm shadows and how they play against each other.

Plein Air Maine

A most enjoyable day!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice. I enjoyed your photographs and I love that area.

C. Muñoz said...

Looking good! We'll have to come to some of these places next time we're in Maine. I'll even have my plein air box by then!

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the trip.