Monday, September 18, 2006

Painting Chocolate Chip Cookies with Milk

I used the wipe out method again to begin. I may actually be developing a favorite technique. Any bets on how long I stick with the same beginning?

I started the composition with a pile of cookies. More than you see here. Don't laugh. How long would you last staring at them, smelling the chocolate, only inches from your mouth? I just happened to have a cup of tea ready so.... and now there are 3.

Chocolate Chip Cookies and Milk
5"x7"
oil on canvas panel
SOLD

Is there any better treat for a starving artist than CC's and milk? My art manager/wife gets the credit and a commission for the idea and for the cookies. I don't know what the commission is yet but I will think of something. I asked my wife, what if she had set up the still life? What would she have done differently? She said, "use a plate". Then she realized, no, this is much more realistic, more like me....... I never use a plate.

Self Critique Time:
I tried to be very disciplined on this one. I used a 3" housepainters brush for the background and painted it with only a few strokes. Then I tried to leave it alone. It wasn't easy, but I managed not to mess with it. I am pleased with how few brush strokes I actually used on this one.
Ah, one small step towards improvement. Now it's time to eat the props.

News Flash!
Here is an update on Peter's status in family decision making. This breaking news just in.....
The painting with the (pitcher) has been sold. Thanks to a wonderful couple in Oregon. I am now free to make prop purchasing decisions on my own, and I can go on unsupervised visits to antique shops.

11 comments:

Robin Weiss said...

Peter Let me be the first to congratulate you. You took a pitiful pitcher and made a great painting. Don't let your new decision making power go to your head. Let your wife keep the check book you might spend it all on cookies. Great site!

Anonymous said...

way hay...power to the painter!
What is it with cookies and milk, Darren Maurer has done the same subject on the same day!
Red Shoes xx

Louis Boileau said...

Good one Peter! This one proves the old addage that "Less is more."

Darren Maurer said...

That is funny we both come up with the same idea on the same day, and outr wives both suggest it. Is it no wonder we are friends???? The really weird thing is I came extremely close to using a glass just like the one you used.

Vivienne said...

Very painterly..it's an interesting subject and so well executed, you must be very happy with this one.....go nuts with the shopping!

danieli said...

i have the same problem... i can't paint food, also, unless it's from pictures. can't eat pictures:).

your posts are always so didactic, you're one of the few art bloggers out who tell the background and the issues you faced in each painting. i linked you. i'm a daily painter too, if you want to check my watercolors...

Parisbreakfasts said...

WOW I didn't think that one could be done but you did it!
Have a ball at the antique shop!

PaintingEachDay said...

beautiful and simple. I'm drawn to paintings that target value and hue over detail. Well done Peter.

Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyyy great you get to eat the still lifes and buy the props

Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyyy great you get to eat the still lifes and buy the props

J Matt Miller said...

I love this one, Peter. Such economy of strokes!