Tuesday, October 24, 2006

daily painting practice - orange peel

I roughly peeled the first orange and set it down without fussing over it. Sometimes the best arrangements come from what occurs naturally.
I think all that needs to be done is to touch up the background color. I use a little cobalt blue to add a little atmosphere.
click on picture to enlarge it

Orange Blossom Special
oil on canvas board

The peeled orange is a great object to paint. The texture and color is a real treat for the eyes. I thought this partly peeled orange looked like a flower opening its petals.

One of the hazards of daily painting is you start to enjoy food shopping. I now catch myself buying food for its potential in a still life. I may end up with 15 apples because they all look good for a painting even if I already have apples at home. I wonder if I can deduct my food bill as a business expense?


wendy said...

Really love this work!


James said...

Of course you can deduct the food as an expense! Maybe not if you eat it.

Louis Boileau said...

Really like this one!

Anonymous said...

it is a great arrangement...why didn't I think of that?

Katherine said...

The trick is to buy really esoteric fruit which obviously would never form part of your daily food budget! ;)

I've been shopping in supermarkets for still life for ages - and even written about it on my blog here http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2006/01/when-still-life-takes-over-shopping.html. My partner complains about how late I get back from shopping but it takes time to eye up all the fruit and veg for two completely different reasons!