Tuesday, November 14, 2006

painting interior - the painting over our piano

Here's the set-up. I sat on the couch and put the painting box on a stool in front of me. The shadows quit just after I snapped this photo. The wall became a very even tone. Arrrrgh! Who said art was easy?
The painting above the piano is actually a print from a magazine of a painting by John Newton Howitt (1885-1958) called the Symphony. Howitt actually was an illustrator who painted covers for Pulp fiction magazines. He hated it but I guess it paid the bills.

click on the picture to enlarge the image
Picture Over the Piano
8"x10"
oil on masonite
SOLD
I like trying these interiors. They are very challenging exercises. The light changes rapidly just like painting outside. Trying to find an interesting spark in the things that we walk by everyday inside the house isn't always easy. I walk around the house squinting and bending, twisting and turning. If someone walked in on me, they may think I am suffering from some disease of the nervous system. Artists are so misunderstood.

3 comments:

m collier said...

This is a very nice painting. I enjoy the feeling I get looking at this. Calm, peaceful .. maybe we are waiting for someone to come and play for us.

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely painting Peter. Do some more interiors.
Sheila V

Anonymous said...

Thanks Peter for painting your piano. It reminded me of my grandparents who both played. Which brought a smile to my face remembering how much they loved it and were good in their own ways. I really enjoy your paintinng style.
Ray