Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Daily Painting Practice - grapes and yellow bowl

I started sketching a little larger than my normal sight size method. It helped with the composition.

I love the compliment of the grapes and yellow dish.
I used a spot light on this one. I really like that shadow across the bowl it gives the bowl the form it needs to feel solid on the base.
click on picture to enlarge the image

Grapes and Yellow Dish
8" x10"
oil on masonite
SOLD

I was reading my copy of Linda Cateura's book on David Leffel's teaching and painting methods. "Oil Painting Secrets From a Master". That book inspires me to paint bolder and to break away from just copying the subject. I want to be more of a painter than a copiest. It will be a long journey. But what fun along the way.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!

Alisha K. Ard said...

I like the compliment of the grapes and the yellow dish as well. I also like the contrast the deep shadow background provides. Beautiful!

Takeyce said...

Excellent, Peter.

Robin Weiss said...

Your surfaces are great here Peter.Thanks for sharing!

James said...

I think you did it. That book is inspiring. Your bowl with the highlight reminds me of his work.

Making A Mark said...

Very nice demo Peter

Parisbreakfasts said...

Do you ever fall in love with the semi-unfinished state? I did here...

Anonymous said...

this is really lovely...it has that elusive quality of everything working together perfectly