Friday, November 17, 2006

painting interior scene- the dining room chair

It started as a very gray overcast morning. Of course just when I was about to finish, that all changed. And people wonder why artists like to work from photographs. Working from life is hard, the gods of painting like to play mind games, like bring out the sun just after you lay in the shadows.
Here is my travel around the house painting box in action.
Here I am at 1 1/2 hours. The only thing I should do is pull the details out.
click on picture to enlarge the image

Dining Room Chair
8"x10"
oil on masonite
SOLD
I really like the light in our dining room it fills the room from dawn through evening. This is the first painting I did on my new schedule( see yesterday's post). Actually, I should say I tried to do on my new schedule. I am supposed to only allow two hours for my daily practice painting. I kind of slid right by and did 2 1/2 hours. Whoops! Not that the extra time helped. I think most times it is better to quit early. Danger lurks in muddy colors for the artist who sticks around longer than he should.

4 comments:

June Parrish Cookson said...

Hi Peter,
Nice work. I really admire your determination to keep with the daily painting. The hard work never ends does it? It's fascinating to see you working in different areas of your house. For myself, it would be too difficult to work on a painting versus quick sketches in a place other then my studio. I don't mind sketching outside, but not an actual painting in unfamiliar territory. That's the reason why I can't do plein air. My last attempt failed and I ended up reworking the piece in the studio. Just too many distractions and trying to set up work materials. Guess I'm a big baby.
Regarding photographs...fantastic to use as reference especially when light vanishes so quickly. Well, sorry I wrote so much. Have a great day!

Zeenat said...

Nice post sharing man! interior painting Seattle

sidra khan said...

Awesome post please keep on posting.interior painting Seattle

sidra khan said...

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! interior painting Seattle