Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Painting oranges in a bowl

This is a larger study of the oranges in the bowl from yesterday's set up.
I am only working with a few colors. Titanium white, cadmium orange, burnt sienna and ultra-marine blue.
Here is a close up. I love brush work like this and the thick and thin paint. Take a good look though..... It won't last. I have a horrible time controlling myself from this point on. I think part of the problem comes from having several finished versions of the same painting in my head, all in different styles of painting. Maybe as time goes by I will feel comfortable with just one style...or maybe two....or maybe not.
click on the picture to enlarge the image

Oranges in a Bowl - Study
6"x6" oil on masonite

I told you this would happen. I started to over work the oranges so I made myself put down the brushes and walk away. I like the Van Gogh feel of this one. Simple and fun. Those are the best paintings to end the day with.


Tracy said...

Stopping at the right time is one of the hardest things to do as an artist! I constantly struggle with this.

Beautiful painting-it has a lovely kind of energy and I like the less finished and relaxed quality very much.

m collier said...

Nice to see you back at work -- I too like the energy of this painting --