Thursday, February 08, 2007

daily painting pratice- Thursday in the park

Remember back in November I set out to do a large study for a future painting?

I did this small 8"x10" pleine air study in the park first.








Here's the current version.
Sometimes it's good to take a fresh look at things in different light and in a different environment. You can get a sense of the scale of a painting this way too.

I like to put the paintings on top of the piano and sit across the room. It is amazing what will pop out just by moving the painting to another room.




Here a few details shots of the current state of things in the park. This tree and the light poles need some work yet.
Another close up. The tree is almost complete.
more details, the underpainting of the park bench.
click on picture to enlarge the image

Walk in the Park - work in progress
36"x48"
oil on canvas

One of my goals is to complete one large painting every month. I'm cheating a little here because I started this back in November. I will finish this one for my February piece. There is something comforting about painting fall colors when it is 0 degrees and snow is on the ground.

1 comment:

René PleinAir said...

I go for the plein air piece.

Two reasons, they don't take so much space, and i good for your health. (To go outside)