Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Daily painting Practice - Cherries still life

Sometimes I use pencil most times I use charcoal because a charcoal drawing blends in with the oil paint. I don't usually spray fixative on the drawing, just jump in and paint or paint over the lines with Liquin and thin paint to keep the under painting.
I dove right into the cheeries. Almost as much fun as grapes.
This arrangement is a little different. The star of the show is the cherries which have the only real darks in the painting. The rest is a very high key or in very light halftones.
click on the image to enlarge the picture

Cherries Still Life
oil on masonite

I may do more paintings of cherries. You could say a series of cheery cherries is a chance for change. Check my choice tomorrow.


wanda knight said...

Nice the way you subdued the background and the pottery. The cherries look good enough to eat.

Ed Terpening said...

Nice one, Peter. I really like the way you've subordinated the jar behind the bowl. Very subtle value and intensity changes, chase as you'd push back a mountain in a landscape.

silvina said...

So beautiful. I like what Ed said about the jar. The subtlety of all that's behind the "cheery cherries" gives the painting a very refined quality.