Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Daily painting Practice - Cherries still life

Sometimes I use pencil most times I use charcoal because a charcoal drawing blends in with the oil paint. I don't usually spray fixative on the drawing, just jump in and paint or paint over the lines with Liquin and thin paint to keep the under painting.
I dove right into the cheeries. Almost as much fun as grapes.
This arrangement is a little different. The star of the show is the cherries which have the only real darks in the painting. The rest is a very high key or in very light halftones.
click on the image to enlarge the picture

Cherries Still Life
6"x6"
oil on masonite
SOLD

I may do more paintings of cherries. You could say a series of cheery cherries is a chance for change. Check my choice tomorrow.

3 comments:

wanda knight said...

Nice the way you subdued the background and the pottery. The cherries look good enough to eat.

Ed Terpening said...

Nice one, Peter. I really like the way you've subordinated the jar behind the bowl. Very subtle value and intensity changes, chase as you'd push back a mountain in a landscape.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. I like what Ed said about the jar. The subtlety of all that's behind the "cheery cherries" gives the painting a very refined quality.