Thursday, August 23, 2007

daily painting practice - more painting your own children

I thought I owed an explanation for my not posting as much lately. My show is drawing closer and the studio is well, as you can see.... a wreck.
The other day I shared one of the few sketches I have of my daughter. Here is one I found of my son. Details don't matter. It's the essence of the moment. To me this pose was my son.... book between the legs, bare feet, reading.
Sketching your children does not have to be so serious all the time. ( I can't believe this is me talking)
My son posed for me when he was very young. All I could manage to get down on paper were his eyes. (before he decided posing was too hard). I think there is something so wonderful in those eyes.
His eyes have always told the story of who he is. (or was supposed to be)

click on image to enlarge the picture

Now that he is older I rely on those eyes to check my work and tell me how I am doing. Strange, but the wisdom was always there...... In those eyes.

1 comment:

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Wow, Peter...thanks for the insight on daily sketching and capturing more moments of time. Truly inspiring. I read all of it (on Painting Your Children) and although I am not a painter, the message still rings true.
And how wonderful your favorite new model is! Congrats to one and all!