Thursday, July 24, 2008

Daily Painting Practice - Hanscom Fountain Study

Thursday is Plein Air Painting day in Omaha. We tried Elmwood Park again this week but when we arrived it was raining and the park had no place with an overhang to take shelter under and paint. We decided to head to the coffee shop. Of course, it was a downpour just as we got out of our cars. We run in, buy a coffee sit down...... and the rain stops. John wanted to check out Hanscom Park thinking it had more to offer. So off we drove. The weather held back but the sky was dark and gray.
I started a on pre-toned board that was dark olive green/gray. I kept thinking the rain was going to start any second so I painted fairly quickly.
The wind kept moving the angle of the fountain spray... First on the right, then on the left.......I felt like I was playing follow the leader.
click on the image to enlarge the painting

Hanscom Fountain Study
original by Peter Yesis
8"x10"
oil on canvas board
I think this place has the potential to make a good larger painting, though my art advisor/wife thinks I should go back and see what it looks like with the sun shining. Good thing we are painting there again next week.

1 comment:

hj said...

very nice smooth colours, a nice harmony.
Good idea to reconsider it with the sun shinning!
A great and peaceful place to paint!