Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Daily Painting Practice - 30 Self portraits in 30 days - day 1
I was thinking to myself, "Self", I said, " if I am going to do the daily painting practice and blogging on a regular basis again, I will need to try something a little different.... and challenging."
Well, nothing is more challenging than figure painting and the portrait tops that list. I originally thought of calling it 100 self portraits in 100 days, but I don't think I could stand looking at myself that much. 30 Self Portraits in 30 days is going to be hard enough. Especially since I will be traveling to the Oil Painters of America show in Santa Fe this weekend. I might have to bend the rules a little.
Here's the challenges and benefits I see for those of you who want to paint along.
1. Try to keep to 2 hours or less to paint. (keeps you from taking yourself too seriously)
2. You can paint yourself thinner only if you diet for the 30 days and want to see what you will look like at the end.
3. Try painting from life (using a mirror) as well as from photos.
4. Try painting using different media... pencil, watercolor, pastel. Or different tools and methods... palette knife, large brushes, limited colors.
5. The biggest challenge will be composing 30 paintings ( of a dull subject) that are different enough from each other and interesting enough by themselves to keep painting.
Ok, there is the challenge. Ready, Set,... Go paint!