Sunday, May 24, 2009

Daily Painting Practice- 30 Self Portraits in roughly 30 Days - Day 18

click on the painting to enlarge the image

Self Portrait - Day 18
8"x10"
oil on canvas board

Here's my latest reason for not painting or posting for a few days. We had a lot of company over the weekend. That's it. I know it's a lame excuse but it's the only one I have.... Well maybe not the only one.

I could say all the muscles in my body were in rebellion from the work we did outside over the last two days, but that sounds so wimpy.

Thanks go to our friend Mary, she gets the credit for suggesting this composition. She always sees me wearing my glasses on top of my head. This portrait is how I typically wear my glasses when I need to see something up close. It is also the way I paint 80% of the time. That way when I look a a subject it is blurry and I don't get distracted by the details. I only put my glasses on when I need to see things in focus or when I am ready to add the final touches ... I guess getting older has it's benefits.

4 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

this one looks REALLY confident.

Peter Yesis said...

Cathyann ( love that name) Glad to hear you are giving it a try. Remember it's not the amount ...it's the fun and the practice thta counts.

Thanks Celeste - Yes, I like this one too. Confident? or just pleased I didn't get any paint on my shirt?

Mary said...

I should have completed my thought: I (nearly) always see you wearing your glasses on top of your head...while eating Thai food."

Mike said...

Peter . . .I just got the feeling that I know you . . .from seeing this body of work. And this portrait is killer! The color harmonies really speak up and bring a sense of life to the image.

This process you are on of doing a series around the same subject without much variation in the subject is a terrific way to access creativity! Good on ya for doin it!