Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Daily Painting Practice- take an old painting and improve it.... add a red canoe

I have question. What do you do with older paintings that for one reason or another have not sold?
I have a few paintings hanging around.  So, what do I do with them? I could paint over them( done that), give them away (done that but...not any more), donate them ( done this), store them and take up studio space ( doing that now).

Here's another idea. Rework them, change them, try to improve them... ( then maybe rename them and  try to sell them again.)

 This one came back from the gallery it was called "Along the Bank".
I always thought it was missing something. The painting didn't give me,as viewer, any reason to stay and look at it.

 click on the painting to enlarge the image
The Red Canoe
30"x24"
oil on canvas
Now with a few new touches:
I added the canoe, some birch tree trunks in the background and  highlighted  details of the grass in the back, also strengthened the fallen tree in the fore ground, and played a little with some stones and tree trunks.
Oh, and I gave it a new title...pending approval from you know who/wife.

3 comments:

Theresa Rhodus said...

Really makes you say "Now where did that guy go? When will he be back?" great addition. So would the gallery take this back reworked?

Ricardo said...

I congratulate you for your work explendido me look a very good job, greetings.

Unknown said...

Greetings from the UK.
I have looked through your blog, reading with interest on your play with words. very entertaining. Now the paintings!. Well, your work is very inspirational and has lots of tips and tricks to engage with. The red canoe is a wonderful reproduction. Red being the complimentary clour of green. But you knew that. You have a great style Pete, and an enthusiasm for art I will try to emulate. Thanks for sharing.
Richard.