Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Maine plein air painting Belfast

Biting off more than I could chew.

Yesterday I must have had  a good breakfast because I started the day with big plans.

 The morning was cool, breezy and very overcast in Belfast, Maine. I decided to try painting from the footbridge that crosses the Passagassawakeag River ( great name) at the inlet to Belfast Bay, because the clouds were forecast to stick around all day.
I started on a 16"x20" canvas.  Of course I didn't get very far before the clouds disappeared and the bright sun came out and moved overhead.
 So I moved on to  try a spot by the harbor walk. Again I was biting off more than I could chew with a 16"x20" canvas.

This time I got just far enough before the clouds were back. I now know where they went... to fill up with water because  they burst open and I got soaked.

So, two incomplete paintings that I am pleased with as a start but wished I had progressed farther.
 
 At home I tried one more time. That morning, before I left for a day of plein air painting I had a visit from a hawk (I think a Red shouldered hawk) looking for a red squirrel breakfast of his own.





When I got back from painting I started a larger bird painting of him (18x24). The drawing isn't correct yet, I only got as far as laying out the composition.
One long day of painting.  Isn't it grand!!!

3 comments:

Amanda Martinez said...

I love the 1st one of Belfast Bay. I love the texture you have in the sky and reflected in the water, but bigger.

Barbara P said...

Wow, a seascape, street scene, and wildlife painting all started in the same day. That WAS ambitious. Bravo!

Natsu Uaganda said...

Get Hourly profit for 200 hours on every hour without any risk and without any work, best business plans ever
AllTimeProfit.com