Thursday, February 01, 2007

Daily Painting Practice- Thursday fun

It's Thursday and according to my new plan, on Thursdays I'll post something fun to break up the work on my weekly studio painting. I needed some different props so I found the best kept secret in art. Go to the thrift store or Goodwill store to buy still life items. I spent $10.00 and brought home lots of goodies. The silver mug and the white pitcher were each just $1.49. I should start a new blog where we trade art props. Sort of an anti-Ebay for artists.
Having the panel pre-coated with a dark background made blocking in the lighter tones a breeze. The board was one of the paintings I mess up last month. It probably would be a great idea to make a bunch of these pre-toned boards. Of course that means I would have to think ahead..... you and I both know that's going to happen.
I knew in the beginning that values were going to be the key to success with this painting. I am only using 3 colors at this point. Raw Sienna, Titanium White and Utra-Marine Blue. Go to (Paul Foxton's web page) to witness how to really do this.
I started to sharpen the cup and the highlights
finished except for warming up the background.
click on picture to enlarge the image

His and Hers
9"x12"
oil on wood
SOLD
The last thing I did was put a warm glaze over the background to tie the shadows together and to warm up the surface of the white pitcher. This painting was a joy to do. I find it amazing how far ony a few colors can take you.

5 comments:

Louis Boileau said...

Great one peter...that mug is incredible!!!

Louis Boileau said...

I meant the way you painted the mug...not the mug itself...

;-)

James said...

Well, the mug is nice :), but I like the way the cup popped out. You captured the light very nicely. The step by step change was fun on this one. This was fun!

Unknown said...

You are starting to get a Flemish look there.

June Parrish Cookson said...

Wonderful painting Peter! I like the contrasts and have to agree with James about the cup.