Friday, November 16, 2007

Daily Painting Practice - West on Cuming Street

My son loves compositions with lots of interconnecting lines and and geometric action.(I think it comes from too much exposure to LEGOS when he was little). This composition is full of squares and intersections and shapes within shapes. Just up his alley.(no pun intended)
I tried to stay very gray and soft to create the atmosphere of a hazy morning in downtown Omaha.
click on the image to enlarge the picture

West on Cuming Street
6"x6"
oil on canvas board
sold
If I look to my left I am opposite (the church I painted last week). And in the distance are the spires of St. Cecilia's church where I painted (the convent). I like how a lot of my paintings have links to others. If I do this long enough you could map my neighborhood.

3 comments:

René PleinAir said...

Wow Peter, much happening here!

your son is definitely a Mondrian fan I reckon. A great, small piece although I am a bit in doubt about the final piece and the picture of it just above, .... I mean isn't it a bit to much? the final one?

Steven said...

I like the idea of a "journey by painting" mapping system. How cool would that be?

Great work on this one. Thanks for sharing the work in progress images, too. Fun to see how the ground colors influence the final tone and look.

Leslie Sealey said...

I like the composition in this one; very nice!