Tuesday, October 31, 2006

daily painting practice - Red Wine Green Apple

The block in got me excited.
But, you can see I started to get very chalky colors and went very opaque much too soon. I only made it worse after I took this photo. So, what can I do? Spend hours trying to fix it?....Nope
Starting over always makes me a little uncomfortable. I begin to doubt myself and worry. However it is the best decision to make. Just like when a child falls off a bike, the first thing we grown-ups say is " get right back on". We artists need to take our own medicine every now and then.

Painting on a masonite panel has benefits and challenges. The paint goes on but the smooth panel makes the brush slide across the surface. One advantage is being able to pick out hightlights or remove paint. That is how I went after the details. I used a charcoal blending stub to remove the paint.

click on the picture to enlarge the image
Red Wine Green Apple
8"x10"
oil on masonite panel
SOLD
I set this up to try painting the design in the cloth. It was a challenge to find a way to paint it but in the end I am happy with it. I know there are many ways to paint an object but how we decide to do it and what we feel comfortable with is what makes our art unique.

6 comments:

Louis Boileau said...

This is a beauty Peter. Love it!!
Nice soft edges...I need to learn to soften edges.

Anonymous said...

Peter,

Great painting. I am at your service to help clean up your props when you are not so inclined. Might I suggest a series of classic reds?

Anonymous said...

lush apple, really appliee and biteable.

James said...

That was a nice lesson, Peter. Restarting or wiping down the painting is better than being dissatisfied at the end.

I probably should take the lesson and do that when things go off. I either wipe off less or end up less than pleased in those cases.

Nice painting and story.

J Matt Miller said...

Super painting, Peter. I agree with Louis--the soft edges are excellent.

Parisbreakfasts said...

As one who has painted a gazillion glasses of red wine, I can say you did a superb job here Peter!