Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Painting Peanutbutter and Jelly

This is a big thank you to a wonderful artist in Ireland,(Vivienne St. Clair). She sent me a sample canvas board that she hand made. It has a terrific undercoat of warm orange red. I can see why her paintings are so vibrant. It was such a treat to work on.
Adding the darks. I used ivory black and burnt sienna and a touch of colbalt blue.
I love how the warm underpainting comes through. I tried very hard not to cover it up with opaque paints.

First Grade Favorite
6"x8"
oil on board
SOLD
This is my wife's first grade favorite for lunch. In fact a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich is still one of her favorite breakfast foods. I have never joined the peanutbutter crowd. I'm a jelly man first, last and always.

I really liked painting on Vivienne's panel. It has a great feel to it and the orange underpainting was the perfect tone for jumping right in. Make sure you check out Vivienne's work at her blog( A Day in Paint )

6 comments:

Vivienne said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the experience. That peanut butter jar is awesome...Now, can I hire you as my PR Manager? Thank you for your kind words :-)

Luis Colan said...

I love the color of the ground. In art school not many are taught that starting on a colored ground is the best way, since it has a nice effect on the rest of the painting when light bounces back from it. This painting turned out great!

danieli said...

the red underpainting really adds a delicious glow to the image. bad thing it can't be done on watercolors. you oil painters always seem to have all the fun :)

Anonymous said...

Thats great peter. I agree about viviennes work, its lovely

Anonymous said...

Another beauty Peter!
ParisB

Tracy Helgeson said...

Beautiful painting, Peter. Of course I am a bit prejudiced, perhaps. All of my paintings start on a similar warm red background and I am always drawn to that lovely glow it creates, whether it's mine or anyone else's.