Wednesday, February 14, 2007

daily painting practice - weekly painting number 2

Continuing the weekly painting I began last week and on two earlier posts. This is as far as I can go before taking the leap and doing the detail work. This is always a time when I need to step back and make sure I make the details consistent with the feel of the overall painting. Sometimes I get too tight and linear and the details have too many hard edges. Then they look pasted on and you need to wipe them off and do it again.
A few details and some work on the vase should do the trick.
click on the picture to enlarge the image

Roses in Winter
20"x20"
oil on canvas

My second weekly painting. (it only took me 2 1/2 weeks to work on). The light was very tricky on this one for some reason I struggled with the values. The pastel like colors were softened by the north light, I really liked that from the beginning. I think I did a convincing job on the roses. My favorite part was the tea cup. But then I'm partial to tea. Time to arrange another composition for next Friday's weekly painting. I should look through a few closets and see what we have.

1 comment:

I Want To Be An Artist said...

This is wonderfully lovely and completely beautiful! Love your blog.